Re: MS SQL 7.0 HANGS

From: Steve Cogorno <cogorno_at_netcom.com>
Date: 29 Jun 1999 00:25:28 GMT

In article <930607826.300.90_at_news.remarQ.com>, An Unhappy Microsoft Customer <unhappy_at_microsoft.com> wrote:
> Microsoft claims the problem is "poorly written queries". We believe no
>user query, no matter how poorly written, should be able to "hang" an
>enterprise class database server (if that's what you consider MS SQL
>Server). We would expect results like this from MS Access, not from MS SQL
>server.
>
>Discussion--
> Is this a bug?

Well, it isn't a bug. Microsoft never claimed to have resource controls. But, I agree with you that resource management is essential if you want to be able to provide a guaranteed level of service.

Sybase Adaptive Server has this feature. It is called the Resource Governor. If you consider this essential functionality, perhaps you should look at changing database engines.
--

Steve
cogorno_at_netcom.com Received on Mon Jun 28 1999 - 19:25:28 CDT