configure unix kernel for multiple instances

From: Sean Leahy <s_leahy_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 15:46:33 -0800

I have Oracle 8.0.5 running on Sun Intel. With the kernel parameters suggested in the install manual, I am able to run one instance.

shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=4294967295
shmsys:shminfo_shmmin=1
shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=100
shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=10
semsys:seminfo_semmns=200
semsys:seminfo_semmni=70

The install manual says that these values are for one instance, and if I would like to run more than one, I should increase these values.
When I try to start another instance, I get the following error:

"ORA-07279: spc re:semget error, unable to get first semaphore set.
INTEL SVR4 UNIX Error: 28: no space left on device

additional information: 25
additional information: 2
additional information: 27101"

Due to my limited experience with UNIX, I am not sure which ones to increase and by how much. I have about 250M of RAM and Oracle is the only thing running on the machine. The current instance takes up about 5M.

If anyone could give me general guide lines for increasing these values for additional instances, or actual values set for 2 or more instances, it would help greatly.

Thanks,

Sean Leahy