MS SQL 7.0 HANGS

From: An Unhappy Microsoft Customer <unhappy_at_microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 17:10:22 -0500

Issue--

    We are experiencing apparent server hangs. Microsoft has traced the problem to a complex query that is being run that uses parallelism and the result set is being processed slowly (one row every 500 ms or so) The total wall time that the query is open could be in excess of 30 minutes.

Facts--

    MS SQL 7.0 allocates various resources, including memory for running queries. This amount of memory is not user configurable and is based on total memory in the server.

    Complex queries, especially where the query plan indicates parallelism, can use up a substantial amount of these resources.

    If a complex query result is open without leaving sufficient resources for other queries MS SQL 7.0 will not be able to process additional queries. The server will appear "hung" to users until the complex query result set is processed and closed.

    Microsoft does not believe this is a flaw in MS SQL 7.0. We strongly believe this is a serious bug.

    These complex queries were not a problem under MS SQL 6.5 because of it's simpler query engine

    Microsoft claims the problem is "poorly written queries". We believe no user query, no matter how poorly written, should be able to "hang" an enterprise class database server (if that's what you consider MS SQL Server). We would expect results like this from MS Access, not from MS SQL server.

Discussion--

    Is this a bug? Received on Mon Jun 28 1999 - 17:10:22 CDT