Re: Oracle Striping

From: Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 20:29:08 GMT

On Mon, 28 Jun 1999 09:15:00 -0700, Pete Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com> wrote:

>Doug
>
>Same way you did it in earlier versions.
>
>What? You want more?
>
>Sorry, I'm in an ironic mood this morning! Are you talking specifics of
>partitioning, or just a straight table? If it's a normal table, all you
>need to do is create the tablespace for the table with 4 separate
>datafiles, one on each drive. Then create the table with initial
>slightly smaller than the datafile size, minextents set to 4 and voila!
>Of course, the data won't really be striped until all four extents are
>loaded.

From Oracle7.3 onward (I'm not sure if this was available in previous releases) you can explicitly allocate additional extents with the size and the file-locations of your choice with the ALTER TABLE. You can't specify the file-location of the initial extent in a CREATE TABLE, but you can specify the destination for all additional prealocated extents with ALTER TABLE.

The scenario would be:

CREATE TABLE my_table (...) TABLESPACE my_tablespace STORAGE....

ALTER TABLE my_table ALLOCATE EXTENT (SIZE xx M DATAFILE 'file2');
ALTER TABLE my_table ALLOCATE EXTENT (SIZE xx M DATAFILE 'file3');
ALTER TABLE my_table ALLOCATE EXTENT (SIZE xx M DATAFILE 'file4');

>Now, if you want the table partitioned, create four separate
>tablespaces, one on each drive, then point each partition to a separate
>tablespace and voila again!
>
>HTH.
>
>Pete
>
>Doug Cowles wrote:
>
>> How do I spread a table across 4 drives in Oracle 8?
>>
>> - Dc.

HTH, Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Certified Oracle DBA (7.3 & 8.0 OCP)

The above opinions are mine and do not represent any official standpoints of my employer Received on Mon Jun 28 1999 - 15:29:08 CDT