Re: Bypassing Rowid?

From: Daniel Murray <dmurray_at_gnncast.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 14:50:21 GMT

The rowid is Oracles method of determining where that particular row of data is located on the disk. One is assigned by the Oracle RDBMS for every row in the database. You cannot modify the rowid column. When you use sql*loader in conventional path it will automatically update all the indexes and fire all triggers for every row you insert, but when you use the direct path option it doesn't perform these actions(Although rowid's are still created)

One last point, rowid is not a column in a table. Oracle calls it a pseudocolumn because you can use it to directly access a row for selection and is the fastest method to do so.