Re: RAID-5

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 14:00:06 +0100

That piece of advice is a generic comment - the only problem with general purpose advice is that every real case is a special case.

It is true that raid-5 is almost always slower for writes that anything else: then again a 2CV is almost always slower than a Porsche - but the if you live on Guernsey (UKG that is) the speed limit is only 25 MPH anyway so who cares.

You need only worry if you have a database that really needs to go very fast - e.g. at an average rate over 2GB per day.

It won't mater for your pair at a total of 120M to 200M per day.

There are a couple of simple C programs on my website (related to choosing a block size) that might be of use to do some testing.

--

Jonathan Lewis