Rollback segments

From: Cristóbal García <cgg_at_unica.edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 13:48:42 +0200

Hello!!

    I'm testing Oracle in order to see if it suits our requirements (Oracle 8.0.5 for Linux) and I've created a package with some pl/sql methods which populate tables on a db.

    The story is that I've inserted 10.000 rows and that's ok, when I've inserted 100.000 rows Oracle has issued me a 1600 error (Cannot extend rollback segments), that's a correct behavior I think, but since then the dbms has decreased dramatically its capacity to insert rows without giving me the same error. For example I've cleared the tables (left it in 0 rows) and tried to re-insert the 10.000 rows. The 1600 condition strikes back again!!!!

    I'd like to know if this is a normal behavior, if so I want to know why and how to correct it (It seems like Oracle cannot clear the rollback segments when the transaction is aborted).

    I'd like to know your oppinion about Oracle 8 on Linux (Oracle 8i also) because my boss and I are trying to decide between a dbms (I'm working at a University in Spain) and I prefer Oracle but my boss doesn't, so I've we try oracle and it's not stable or needs lot of management (our normal work isn't very hard so I think the DBA tasks can be done by a non dedicated employee) I will probably be fired :(

    Thanx a lot Received on Mon Jun 28 1999 - 06:48:42 CDT