Re: 2 gig limit?

From: Fred <fred_at_meow.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 16:54:06 -0700

  There is a problem with files over 2GB. We have an HP9000-D380 using oracle 7.33
To solve our nightly export problem I used the split command to break up the file on the fly during export:

mknod /hd004/tmp/exp_pipe pipe
cd /hd004/export
split -b512m </hd004/tmp/exp_pipe &
exp $UNPW full=y buffer=1000000 file=/hd004/tmp/exp_pipe compress=y

   The split command runs in the background splitting into 512MB chunks everything that is written to the pipe
The directories in the above example must be changed of course to match your system. Also you can use whatever export options you want. As long as file=/PATH/exp_pipe you'll get files in the order: xaa xab xac xad etc... etc... in the directory you cd to before the export. To inport just cat them back together in the same way and import them.

You can also use the compress command. Also if you use the VxFS you can enable largefiles on your filesystem.
We have a combination of HFS and VxFS filesytems, which need to be cleaned up so that wasnt an option for us. If you call ORACLE tech support they have a bunch of good workarounds for the 2GIG limit problem and they'll fax them right over to you