Re: "desc tab_name@db_link" doesn't work from 8.0 towards 7.3...

From: Yassir Khogaly <yassir_khogaly_at_lineone.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 22:13:34 +0300

Currently the ROWID is has the format 'BBBBBBBB.RRRR.FFFF' where BBBBBBBB is the block number, RRRR is the slot(row) number, and FFFF is a file number. For the sake of this document, this format will be called the restricted format. The new Oracle8 ROWID, will be 10 bytes long (compared to existing rowid of 6 bytes) and will contain the data object number, the DBA (data block
address) and the row number of the row (this format will be referred to as the extended format).

It is possible for a pre-V8 client to access a V8 database and visa versa. Binary and character values of the pseudo column ROWID and of columns
of type ROWID that are returned by a pre-V8 database to a V8 database are always restricted because the pre-V8 system will not know about the extended rowid.

Most of the ROWID functionality works for accessing a pre-V8 server. A supplied package (DBMS_ROWID) can be used for interpreting ROWID contents. If an Oracle8 database is being accessed from a pre-V8 client, the server will return the ROWID in the extended format. Therefore, you will not be able to interpret the rowid contents or store ROWIDs in a user column of ROWID type without using the DBMS_ROWID package.

Regards