Re: ODBC vs OCI - architecture and market

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 17:28:12 +0200

Answers embedded

Hth,
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

huh wrote in message <7kvdd6$1iji$1_at_ns.felk.cvut.cz>...
>Hello,
>
>I'm new with ORACLE and I am interested in following:
>
>1) Client/server communication architecture.
>
> My understanding is:
> a)OCI: layer 1 - target platform networking stuff.
> layer 2 - ORA network libraries -
> provide logical stream protocol for layer 3
> layer 3 - call interface (OCI)
>
> Is it correct or wrong?

Correct, though the before the 'native' networking stuff will be called sqlnet will be called.

> b)ODBC - it is another call interface. Does ORACLE
> driver implement him as a layer 3 (tight to stream protocol)
> or as a layer 4 (over OCI) ?

The routing is

client software interfaces to ODBC.dll
ODBC.dll interfaces to any ODBC driver, including Oracle the Oracle ODBC driver calls sqlnet.

>3) Is there any documentation which compares OCI and ODBC?
> I think the ODBC driver contains a subset of OCI functionality...
> Does it contain something what OCI doesn't?
> Does it contain extensions to ODBC standard which covers
> additional OCI functionality?

You shouldn't compare those two. OCI is the lowest layer in communication with Oracle databases there is. Any program, including Sql*plus, will eventually use OCI
The ODBC driver is nor a subset nor a superset it is a generic interface working with sqlserver, Access, excel etc.

>4) Can I find somewhere the estimation of market percentage-
> How many people work with OCI and how many with ORACLE ODBC?
> How many tools are available for OCI and ODBC?

If you want to interface to an Oracle database only, and don't expect to replace the database by sqlserver, then don't use ODBC. It is a non-native driver, and it doesn't support almost all of the Oracle specific functions. If you want to develop a front-end in VB or Visual C++ you should however consider to use Oracle Objects for Ole. This is an VB/Access like interface to Oracle and it's completely native. OO4O is delivered in the standard kit.