Re: INSTANCE KILLER !!!

From: Kenneth C Stahl <kstahl_at_lucent.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 08:17:05 -0400

At least one approach that I would try is functional decomposition of a sorts.

Let'ssay your package body has 10 functions in it. Strip out all of the functions except one and see if the body compiles. If that works, add another function. Keep adding functions until an error is encountered.

What may be happening - and this is only a broad guess based on my own experiences with problems that I have handled in the past - is that the error you have is something that the parser simply can't make any sense of because it doesn't have a rule for it. I know of more than once instance where I tracked down something that looked fine when I was eyeballing it, but when I finally isolated the error that caused the problem I couldn't believe I had been so daft as to write it the way that I had and once I corrected the error the parsing problem went away.

At the same time, it may well be that you are missing a patch that solves a specific problem with pl/sql. It wouldn't be the first time that has happened. Contact Oracle support and they can tell you if that is where your problem lies.

Ken