Re: Encryption

From: Mark Townsend <mtownsen_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 00:32:46 -0700

Hmmm - data encryption at the table level is problematic - consider the effect on indexes etc which would also have to encrypt data. Performance would likely be unacceptable. And what key is used the the encryption - one per user (untenable is you are sharing data), or an overall one of for the entire database (in which case backups provide an easy backdoor - somebody could just restore the backup into a clone database).

If you are looking at locking down your data you may want to investigate security policies in Oracle8i (allows you to roll you own 'poor man' Trusted Oracle type capabilities). Combining security policies with on the wire network encryption is pretty secure.

--
Regards,

Mark Townsend

Senior Product Manager				Ph: 	(650) 633 5764
Server Division					Fx: 	(650) 506 7222
Oracle Corporation				Email:	mtownsen_at_us.oracle.com