Re: shutdown immediate

From: student <ennaadu_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 20:39:44 GMT

In article <MPG.11dccfcd9faa88a5989694_at_news.singnet.com.sg>,   wanni_at_mbox2.singnet.com.sg (Wanni) wrote:
> HI Readers,
>
> From what I know, shutdown immediate will terminate all current
> transactions and does a 'graceful' shutdown down. But when I
> 'hang' at the shutdown immediate command for sometime, and noticing
> that the disk activity is high, could that mean, it is rollbacking
> some huge huge active transactions in the rollback segments?
>
> We have the shutdown immediate going for about 30mins and it was still
> running. instead, we did a shutdown abort. the next time the
database
> was brought up, it was ok.
>
> When we issue shudown immediate again, the same problem persists.
>
> What's the logic explanation here?
>
> Thanks for your replies :)

Hi.. I have also come across this problem. What i did was to kill the user processes connecting to the database using OS command. Though the immediate option is supposed to do this, if this is done, then shutdown immediate works fine. Shutdown abort requires a recovery at the next startup. Any more solutions and suggestions will be of great use..

Thanx.
EN

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Thu Jun 24 1999 - 15:39:44 CDT