Re: Oracle 7.3.3.4.0 on OpenVMS

From: Graham C Thornton <graham.thornton_at_ln.ssw.abbott.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 13:13:58 -0500

Pete Sharman wrote in message <3772558F.AA60898E_at_us.oracle.com>...
>Heidi
>
>You've lost me here. The init.ora parameter should read compatible=7.3.3.
Is
>it currently set to that or 7.3.0? Do a select value from v$parameter
where
>name = 'compatible' and see what it's set to. You certainly don't need to
>recreate controlfiles or anything like that.
>
>Again, it would help if you told us what the error was, rather than "it
won't
>let me create a bitmap index".
>
>HTH.
>
>Pete
>
>Heidi Schuerger wrote:
>
>> INIT.ORA should have: COMPATIBLE=7.3.0
>> so, I changed it and cycled the database, but it still won't let me
create a
>> BITMAP INDEX.
>>
>> I didn't think I had to to
>> ALTER DATABASE RESET COMPATIBILITY
>> and
>> CREATE CONTROLFILE (...)
>> unless I was downgrading.
>
>--
>

>Regards
>
>Pete

Pete,

I think Heidi maybe experiencing something like this.....

SVRMGR> create bitmap index BITIDX1 on mytable( NUMERIC ); create bitmap index BITIDX1 on mytable( NUMERIC )

              *
ORA-00901: invalid CREATE command
SVRMGR> select value from v$parameter where name like 'comp%'; VALUE

7.3.3.6.0

2 rows selected.
SVRMGR> Beats me too, we have a 7.3.3.6 database on OpenVMS and this command just keeps
getting bounced. I've even tried putting the event = "10111... etc into the INIT.ORA
file as per 7.3.2 but that didn't work either.

The only success that I have had is to create a standard index, then hack the data
dictionary and set the SPARE8 value to 1, flush the shared pool and rebuild the index.

My DBA_INDEXES reports that I now have a bitmap index, and an attempted update that
would have changed the cardinality of the indexed column from 2 to 36 blew an ORA-600
error, which I think is reminisicent of reports I've seen on Metalink (can't connect
right now due to lunch-time network traffic) about that type of operation with regards
to columns with bitmap indexes, but I'm still looking for proof that my index is now
BITMAP, rather than just the label saying so.

Either way, it's a screwy method of doing it.

Have you gotten bitmap indexes working on a VMS port? - is this a bug or are Heidi and
me both doing something dumb??

Confused.....

Graham

--
Empowerment - delegating the responsibility but not the authority.

Opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect those of Abbott Laboratories. Received on Thu Jun 24 1999 - 13:13:58 CDT