Re: executing a query in a Stored Procedure

From: <nealgran_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 15:28:38 GMT

Actually, Billy, I did exhaust the reference material I had available to me (chapter 6 of Oracle's PS/SQL Users Guide) before I asked this question. You must realize that I am not an Oracle developer, I have a product which I need to integrate with several of the popular databases using JDBC calls. The problem I am having with Oracle is not present in SQLServer, for example, where the stored procedure interface has no difficulty returning a result set to my JDBC call.

Since I am not an Oracle developer, I do not extensive reference material to look at. If you had realized this, perhaps, you would have pointed me in the right direction to find the background info I need (on the web?), rather that dismiss my question in such an irritating manner.

You should notice also, that another forum user, kbatsche, understood the subtle issue behind my difficulty and addressed it. Other users of the forum will be able to learn an important lesson from his response. Remember that these forums are for learning.

In article <7ksma4$lbm$1_at_news3.saix.net>,   "Billy Verreynne" <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za> wrote:
> nealgran_at_my-deja.com wrote in message <7krcta$g8j$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>...
> >When I try to perform a query in a stored procedure it does not
compile.

> >The PL/SQL syntax I used is as follows:
> >
> > Create Procedure GetInfo AS
> > BEGIN
> > select Field1 from MyTable;
> > END;
> >
> >Does this have to do with the handling of the resultant table from
the
> >query? If I replace the query with a directive the Stored procedure
> >compiles.
>
> RTFM. RTFM. RTFM. RTFM. RTFM. RTFM. RTFM. RTFM. RTFM. RTFM. RTFM.
RTFM.
> RTFM. RTFM. RTFM. RTFM. RTFM. RTFM. RTFM. RTFM.
>
> Hey, I like to help people with Oracle problems. But then they must be
> prepared to learn and help themselves. Such an elementary question
shows
> that you have not even bother to look at the PL/SQL manual. Please do
and
> then come back with a real problem.
>
> Billy

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Thu Jun 24 1999 - 10:28:38 CDT