Re: Questions about Webdb and OAS

From: Erik <ecotsonas_at_saraswati.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 15:21:23 GMT

In article <7ktan9$5ag$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   lsf_at_cis.hkuspace.org wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for my stupid quesstion. I'm new to Oracle. I'm going to start a
> database project using Oralce 8i. I will distribute the data via web.
> have taken a glance about web development using Oracle. Quite a lot
> books talking about OAS or OWS.
>
> My package only come with Webdb. Could anyone tell me is Webdb
sucessor
> of OAS or OWS?? Moreover, could I develop the web application using
> Webdb using OAS or OWS way (I can only borrow books talking how to
> develop using OAS or OWS). Thanks a lot.
>
> Rgds.

WebDB is a set of stored procedures that Oracle has create to act as a Web IDE (Integrated Development Environment). That is you bring up the WebDB environment through your Browser and it allows you to then create and manage new pages for your web site. Those pages are then stored in the database as stored procedures.

OAS is the architecture. In other words OAS represents your application server tier. It can execute any type of program java, pl/sql, pro*c, cobol... (provided you install the necessary options).

I believe that Oracle is now calling OWS OAS, moving away from the term 'Web Server' to a more generic 'Application Server'.

Now you don't have to use WebDB to present data through the web. You can simply use OAS and then write you own stored procedures to dynamically generate the web pages.

You don't have to use Oracle's HTTP Daemon either. You can use any HTTP Daemon (Netscape Enterprise Server, MS IIS, Apache).

Hopefully this helps you out,
Check out the Oracle web site for more detailed info. --
Erik
Consultant
Saraswati Systems Corporation - (SSC)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Thu Jun 24 1999 - 10:21:23 CDT