Re: ORA-12638: Credential retrieval failed

From: Rick Wessman <rwessman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 24 Jun 1999 10:05:41 -0400

"Michael Hui" <mikehui_at_netvigator.com> writes:

> I met a problem in Net8 configuration.
> In connection between Win95 and Oracle8i in WinNT 4.0 with SP3, I receive
> the
> message in testing the connection as follow:
>
> Attempting to connect using userid: scott
> The test did not succeed.
> ORA-12638: Credential retrieval failed
>
> There may be an error in the fields entered,
> or the server may not be ready for a connection.
>
> I've no idea about this problem, and I cannot find the detail about
> ORA-12638 in the reference documents. Does any suggestion or advice for me?
> Thanks for your attention.

I'm guessing but I think that the problem is that the Oracle server is trying to use NT to authenticate the client and Win95 doesn't support remote client authentication.

To get around the problem, make sure that the "sqlnet.authentication_services" parameter in sqlnet.ora is set to "NONE" as in:

sqlnet.authentication_services=(NONE)

This will prevent the server from using NT to authenticate the client.

--

                                        Rick
                                        Rick Wessman