Re: Oracle8 Perosnal Edition on NT - creating a tns entry

From: wozi <wozi_at_dhc.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 19:42:13 -0700

Richard Price wrote in message ...
>I'm trying to get at my O8 PE default data via SQLplus. I can't understand
>how to create a tnsnames entry for this local database. Evidentally the
new
>version of the client does not utilize the tnsnames.ora file since none of
>my test defintions are showing up there. I'm assuming they are in the
>registry somewhere. I'm not even sure how the entry would look for the
>local database anyway. Given that it is an NT box, what would the the host
>name be... localhost? :) I'd like to use tcp/ip if I can so that I can
get
>in from a remote PC if I need to.
>
>Any ideas are welcome. Thanks!
>
>Richard

You are running Oracle8 Personal edition on NT. In that case, by default, PO8 uses the the Bequeath protocol which allows local conection without the listener process. If you look at the tnsnames.ora, you will find BEQ defined as a protocol.

However, you can use NET8 Easy Config Utility to delete the service associated with the BEQ protocol and add a new service. You can specify TCP/IP as a protocol as well as the HOST name (same as machine name)

Good luck Received on Wed Jun 23 1999 - 21:42:13 CDT