Re: Question about instances

From: tmgn <tmgn_at_excite.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 16:24:01 -0400

An Oracle Instance consists of the Background Processes like LGWR,DBWR etc and Datablock buffer Cache,Redo loguffer Cache,Shared Pool etc which are basically Memory buffers allocated by OS for the Oracle Server.

A Database mounts to the Instance during the Startup and the Instance acquires a Database lock over the associated Datafiles( Unless Parallel Server where multiple Instances can mount the Same Database).

So Both Database Instance & Server Instance refer to the Same,if at all if these terms are technically used.

Also Pls Understand that More than One Oracle Server(Instance) can run on the Same Server(Host ).

A Database can have Multiple Schemas(Set of Database Objects like Tables,Indexes,Procedures etc) each associated with a Database User.

Hope this Clarifies U'r Doubts...

-Thiru