Firewalls and Oracle

From: Scott Dunbar <dunbar_at_commerce.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 14:17:29 -0600

Hi,

    We are attempting to connect from an Oracle client to an Oracle server (all in the 8.1.x series) through a firewall. With a little experimentation it appears that the Oracle client does an initial connect() to the TNS listener but then an additional connection is made using an O/S assigned port. The problem is this second connection. Because it is O/S assigned it cannot be configured into the firewall. For a variety of reasons we have issues with using a "Net-8" compatible firewall (Oracle's solution).

    Is the number of this "return" port configurable? I'm guessing not as that could have the side affect of limiting (to one!) the number of clients that can be run on a particular box. Alternatively, is there a way to convince Oracle to use only one connection? As a side note, doesn't this scheme eat up file descriptors twice as fast as using the single connection? On most O/S's this isn't a big deal anymore but I guess SunOS 4.x (without DBE) scared me into being conservative with fd's.

    Thanks in advance for any information.

--

Scott Dunbar                            Global Commerce Systems
dunbar_at_commerce.com                     Boulder, CO, USA