Re: Question about instances

From: Pete Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 11:56:28 -0700

Sergey

Server normally refers to either the hardware or the Oracle kernel. A database is the physical files sitting out on disk (datafiles, redo log files and control files). An instance is the combination of the memory structures (the SGA) and the background processes (PMON, SMON etc.). In non-Parallel Server configurations, there is a one to one correlation between an instance and a database. There can be multiple databases (and therefore multiple instances) on a single server. Within a database, there can likewise be multiple schemas.

HTH. Pete

sergey_s_at_my-deja.com wrote:

> I am a bit confused about server/database instances.
> Is server instance the same as database instance? In
> the book I am reading the two wordings seem to refer
> to the same thing sometimes and two different things
> at other times.
>
> So far, I tend to beleive that there is a server
> instance within which I can have one or more schemas.
> Is that correct?
>
> Thanks for help in advance!
>
> Sergey

Regards