Re: is instance up???

From: tmgn <tmgn_at_excite.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 14:51:39 -0400

Hi

I have had many occasions where tnsping would suceed even if the
Database is
down. It merely checks for the Listener Status. oiconnect really
helped me ,
in these cases.

Also, Pls copy the 7.3.2 version of oiconnect onto 7.3.4/8.0
ORACLE_HOMEs to
use dbping.

Kenneth C Stahl wrote:

#!/usr/bin/ksh
tnsping mysid >/dev/null 2>&1;
if [ $? -eq 0 ];then
    print -u2 "Oracle is up";
else
    print -72 "Oracle is down";
fi

Just adapt to your own needs. You'll need to make sure that sqlnet v2 is set
up properly. The "mysid" referenced above is the tnsnames.ora database alias
for the instance that you want to check.

Ken