Re: can not sqlnet in local server

From: wozi <wozi_at_dhc.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 12:46:13 -0700

william wrote in message <7kq5pt$1np$1_at_news6.jaring.my>...
>hi, i can not sqlnet in local server. i try to type $sqlplus
>scott/tiger_at_sales_db
>it said, tns: could not resolve service name. what is that?
>how to solve it. i already start the lsnrctl. thanks

When connecting locally to Oracle 8 database, it is not necessary to specify a service name. Oracle8 uses the Bequeath protocol which bypasses the listener process. If you look in the listener.ora, you will find an entry for Bequeath as in the example below:

Beq-local.world =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =

        (ADDRESS =
          (PROTOCOL = BEQ)
          (PROGRAM = oracle80)
          (ARGV0 = oracle80ORCL)
          (ARGS = '(DESCRIPTION=(LOCAL=YES)(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=beq)))')
        )

However, if you want to be able to specify a service, make sure the listener is running and that you add a service using Net8 Easy Config utility.

hope that helps.
wozi_at_dhc.net Received on Wed Jun 23 1999 - 14:46:13 CDT