How do I retrieve an error status during sqlplus execution???

From: Laura González <l_gonzalez_at_stl.es>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 15:01:32 +0200

Hi, again a newbie in this world. Thanks for your last help about feedback.

Now my problem is this:

I have several shell scripts with calls to sqlplus, similar to:

	echo "beginning"
	sqlplus user/pass << END
	update  ....
	commit;
	exception
		when others then
			dbms_output.put_line ('You are in trouble')
	END

	echo "this is the end and it finished with status ..."

Sometimes, it happens that a rollback segment is full, so I can see the message 'You are in trouble', I like it, BUT, and that is my problem, I don't know how could I retrieve an error status inside the shell script coming from the sqlplus.
Now, if I ask for the status immediatly after de 'end' of may sqlplus, I always obtain OK, even in the case of the full rollback segment - I supose this is because sqlplus is ok, the problem was inside it -.

Well, I hope I have explained my problem ... and Thanks for your help.

--

Laura González

                                                Tlfno : 91.348.92.35
Dept. Sistemas de Información                   Fax   : 91.348.91.13
Sistemas Técnicos de Loterías                   e-mail:
l_gonzalez_at_stl.es