Re: Locking

From: <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 12:54:05 GMT

In article <376FE3F7.641C4B26_at_softax.com.pl>,   Grzesiek Gizinski <Grzegorz.Gizinski_at_softax.com.pl> wrote:
> Hi Everybody,
>
> After some experiences I've found out that
> insert and update operations on the same table are
> non blocking. I'm using trasaction replication tool
> based on db locks. So, when insert and update
> oparations will not be performed in the same order
> on both nodes - I will get incosistance.
> The question is: how to set Oracle to make these
> operations block each other?
>
> TIA
> Grzesiek

Look up the 'select for update' statement in the SQL manual or Application Developers Guide. It will select the row and lock it against update. It a second session tries to update the row they will have to wait for the first session to commit or rollback before thier update will take place. The Application Developers Guide also contains write-ups on manually issuing table level locks and the user lock package, dbms_lock. You may want to review both those sections.

--
Mark D. Powell -- The only advice that counts is the advice that  you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Wed Jun 23 1999 - 07:54:05 CDT