Re: ORADIM73

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 10:44:51 +0200

farrellyr_at_my-deja.com wrote in message <7koooo$i1l$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>...

>User account is the sys account.

Not the admin account? This could be a problem. Treat NT users accounts as you would UNIX user accounts. Each NT user account has its own permissions - you will find that in some cases (like the guess account) that even certain kernel calls and services are not available for any processes in that account. A good case in point is the Web Server userid that IIS uses. It only has guest privs and a CGI can for example not load SQL*Net (even if installed on the web server) or talk via IPC to a local Oracle database. NT has a sound security schema that even exceeds UNIX in some cases - the problem though is that some of these has not always been implemented that well, or rely on other shaky stuff which really screws security.

>The strttag.cmd is as follows; d:\orant\bin\oradim73.exe -startup -sid
>TAG -usrpwd password -starttype srvc,inst -pfile d:
>\orant\database\inittag.ora. Maybe missing something here to start
>oracleserviceTAG?

Looks fine to me. Unfortunately I can not check the syntax of the ORADIM on my NT test instance at the moment. You can do a ORADIM73 /? to get the syntax/help screen and make sure the syntax you have in that CMD file is

correct. Then run the strttag.cmd from the NT-DOS command line and see what
happens. It should give you a more meaningful error than the one in Service
Manager. If there are no errors, then the account in which Server Manager
runs the service, does not have the required privs to start up the Oracle service and instance.

>When I go into ORADIM73.exe and instance manager comes up, I can edit
>the instance and enter the DBA authorization password, but it never
>stays in there.

ORADIM without any parameters launches the GUI interface - my advise is to never use it. For real admin purposes we need command line utilities and commands.

>Thanks for your help Billy.

No problem.

regards,
Billy Received on Wed Jun 23 1999 - 03:44:51 CDT