Re: get data from mainframe files, ADA

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 09:06:49 +0200

johnbishop_at_atl.mediaone.net wrote in message <7korhd$j9e$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>...

>The best (and cheapest) we've come up with is
>
>1) cron calls FTP to move the data
>2) PERL transposes data (if need be)
>3) SQL*Load data in.

Sounds good. We did it pretty much the same way, but without using PERL. Data formatting was done in COBOL on the mainframe (modifying existing data extraction programs).

The only addition we had was using pipes. This pretty much speeded up the whole process a lot.

Something like:
1. create pipe 1 and start SQL*Loader reading from the pipe 2. create pipe 2 and start dd to convert EBCDIC to ASCII, reading from EBCDIC from pipe 2 and writing ASCII to pipe 1 3. fire up FTP with a binary transfer of mainframe data and download the data into pipe 2

>The next best thing we came up with was something like an EDA/SQL
>gateway.

We looked at a similar option, but these mainframe SQL gateways were -very- expensive.

>I'm open to just about anything.

The pub around the corner and you pay? ;-)

regards,
Billy Received on Wed Jun 23 1999 - 02:06:49 CDT