Re: Getting proccess ids in NT

From: Brett Neumeier <sacq_at_usa.net>
Date: 22 Jun 1999 23:30:15 GMT

Verma <ranju-ravi_at_worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> How do we do this thing in Windows NT environment ?

It's certainly not easy ...

> I tried something by invoking the Task Manager and then looking
> at the running processes. It shows the PIDs for programs
> running. But I could not trace any PIDs to the pids being
> displayed in the v$ views.

All of the Oracle "processes" are actually threads of execution within the ORACLExx.EXE process. This is the way that Oracle works around the lack of shared memory segments on NT.

The closest thing to a "process ID" that I've found is the SPID column in v$process, which you can link to v$session:

select p.spid
from v$process p, v$session s
where s.paddr = p.addr
/

However, I don't know how to relate the SPID to particular threads within the process; someone else will have to answer that one. (There is a small utility, ORAKILL, distributed with Oracle on NT subsequent to 7.3; it can be used with the SPID and Oracle SID to send "kill" signals to particular threads. Perhaps that is what you're looking for?)

-bn
sacq_at_usa.net Received on Tue Jun 22 1999 - 18:30:15 CDT