Re: HPUX 11, threads, and cma

From: Mark A. Crampton <mcrampton_at_nsisw.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 16:11:03 -0500

Phil T. French wrote:

 Hi,
 I'm working on a multi-threaded socket application which uses Oracle  7.3.4. The program compiles and links ok but when I run it gets a Bus  Error attempting to call pthread_mutex_init(). I changed the libraries  to use -l:libcma.1 (along with all the other Oracle libs like sql,  sqlnet, core3, etc) instead of `cat oracle/rdbms/lib/sysliblist` and he  error changed from Bus Error to SEGV somewhere in cma_fork(). The error  states something about running out of stack space, or failed to grow  stack.

 My application works fine if I remove the calls to Oracle, so it must be
 somewhere in those libs. Here's the compile defines I added:
-D_POSIX_SOURCE -D_POSIX_C_SOURCE=1990506L -D_XOPEN_SOURCE
-D_XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED. I'm using sockets so I prefer the XOPEN
 standard.

 I would appreciate any help.

 Phil French

It's been several years but here goes...

Oracle 7.3.4 SQL needs to be recompiled/relinked using their thread-safe code. There was a section in the Oracle programming manual on it for 7.3 - it's only a couple of pages so easy to miss. You still have to mutex-protect some of those Oracle calls if they can be accessed from multiple threads. Also, saying HPUX 11 and still seeing cma calls concerns me. I haven't worked with HP 11 (I used 10.20/10.30) and could not get Oracle (or any other DB) to work with the DCE threads (cma_ calls) for HPUX. I thought HPUX 11 was supposed to have "real" threads so use -lpthread (-lpthreads ?) instead of the "old" DCE (cma) library. Received on Tue Jun 22 1999 - 16:11:03 CDT