Re: snapshot log question - Urgent.. Pls help!

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_oriolecorp.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 19:58:44 -0700

Wanni wrote:

> Hi Readers,
>
> We have exported a database (containing all snapshots) from server A to
> server B. The snapshots master tables residing on Server M.
>
> Question -
> By dropping all snapshot logs in the Server M and recreating them, and
> then, performing a complete refresh for all the snapshots now in Server
> B. Will this update the rowids of snapshots in Server B, and should be
> able to proceed for further FAST snapshots without other problems?
>
> Thanks & Regards,
> Wanni

I may be erring but I don't see why you would need to drop the snapshot logs on the (unmoved) master database. The only thing they store are information about the master (I assume you have honest, one-way, read-only snapshots), which is on unchanged. On the other hand, if I remember well, the rowids stored in database A (now B) refer to rows in M, so in fact moving them to B doesn't make them invalid. Don't be impressed by the Oracle warning messages saying that the rowids are no longer valid. It would be true if they were rowids referring to the CURRENT database - such as rowids stored in an EXCECTION table (as in : ... EENABLE CONSTRAINT BLAHBLAH EXCEPTIONS INTO ...), but as long as they refer to rows elsewhere you don't have to bother. What you are suggesting would be true if the moved database had been the master one. --
Regards,

  Stéphane Faroult
  Oriole Corporation

http://www.oriolecorp.com, designed by Oracle DBAs for Oracle DBAs