Memory Leak?

From: <sunblade_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 14:02:52 GMT

I'm not sure if this is a memory leak or just a setup error on our part.

Our Setup:

Oracle DB Server - Solaris 2.6 sunE4500 4CPU 6GB RAM ~250GB HD Capicty

Oracle Apps Server - Solaris 2.6 sunE450 2CPU 2GB RAM

full ERP package

backup software - Budtool 4.6 w/ oracle module

backup hardware - Storagetek Timberwolf 9714 DLT Jukebox

The problem:

Whenever we do a backup (hot or cold) the database server starts to consume memory at a steady rate until it is under 100MB free at which point the system starts to stop. During a backup i've run the TOP program and watched the memory get sucked up at about 10MB/5sec. We have 5 instances running on the DB w/ about 150 concurrent managers running between them. I haven't yet tried shutting off all of the instances and their concurrent managers before doing a cold backup. I hope to get time to do that tonight. Currently for a cold I shut down the managers for the database i want to backup and then shut down the instance itself and do the backup. As soon as it starts the memory drops. It does the same thing for a hot backup. Tonight I plan on having a downtime where i can shut down all of the instances and their manager and attempt a backup then to see if the memory problem is with the oracle processes running. I'm pretty sure it's not my backup software itself, but it may be a setting under solaris. Our consultants had us make some changes to /etc/system that I think pertain to memory, but I don't know enough about solaris memory usage to be certain.

Thanks for any help

Adam Bodette
Systems Administrator
Artesyn Technologies
adam.bodette_at_diespam@cp.artesyn.com
remove the @diespam if you promise not to send any :P

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Tue Jun 22 1999 - 09:02:52 CDT