Processor Sizing for Sun / Oracle 8

From: Don Elliott <keysign_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 00:07:19 +1000

Hi Oracle Groupies,

I've just started a tuning exercise for a fairly large Oracle database on a Sun box, and the first thing that appears to be wrong is the size of the machine (ie. CPU) we are using as it appears to be running at 100% with Oracle taking over 80% of the resource. I'm interested in finding out what size box we should be running on.

I'm fairly new to Oracle, however with doing these exercises in the past I was able to find generic tables of processor and memory requirements for different transaction loads / types.

eg.
For 50 simple online transactions per second you will need an 'x' box with 4 CPUs and 4Gb memory
For complex data warehouse type queries on 10 Million row tables you will need a 'y' box with 8 CPUs and 9Gb memory, etc.

Does any such thing exist for Oracle 8 (and preferably Sun) ?

Regards,
Don Elliott Received on Tue Jun 22 1999 - 09:07:19 CDT