Re: Performance gain through distributed raid?

From: thiru <tmgn_at_excite.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 16:25:03 -0400

Basically you need to MOVE the Datafiles of the Concerned Tablespace into
different Mount points ( or Paritions ) on Different Disks.

First you might want to discuss with U'r Sysadmin about the Disk Drive Partiions and their mount points(Drive lables on NT ,right ) as regds to I/O Separation.

Then
1. Shut the DB down.
2. Make Cold Backup
3. Move the Files at the OS level with the permissions&time stamps intact, to the new disk drive(Filesystem or partition)
Then invoke Server manager
svrmgrl > Connect internal
            > startup mount;
svrmgrl> Alter database rename file 'Original File Path' to 'New Location/filename';
           > alter database open;
          > Select file_name from dba_data_files;

-Thiru

Seppo wrote:

Hello,

I run a 7.3.4 DB on NT with 5 Tablespaces on 1 external RAID5 with 5 disks:

RBS 1GB
System 40MB
Temp 1GB
Index 3.5GB
Data 2.5GB

To increase performance I plan to spread the tablespaces on own disks, each
2 x 9 GB Raid 1.

Does this make sense? How can I tell Oracle to move single tablespaces from
one disk to another?

Thanks,
Michael