Re: Oracle Instance Recovery (I don't get it :)

From: Bass Chorng <bass_at_octel.com>
Date: 21 Jun 1999 18:34:54 GMT

Andrey Dmitriev (netcomradeNOSPAM_at_earthlink.net) wrote:
: Now I am really confused. I thought so too, but as I was reading
: Oracle 8 Tuning (Oracle series) I have noticed that the author(s) say
: that Redo Logs contain only committed information. Does anybody else
: have an opinion? Thanx. Meanwhile I think I am going to order Oracle 8
: Architecture from bn or amazon :)

Yes, redo ALSO contains uncommitted data.

So everyone must have asked this question: why do the same job that rollback segment is already doing ? Why duplicates the effort?

I am sure there are lots of technical reasons.

But the only reason I can think of is although RBS has the rollback info, it is not available at recovery cuz database is not open. Redo is the only place available. This is a design issue, over the years I still think this is a terrible waste of effort.

-Bass Chorng Received on Mon Jun 21 1999 - 13:34:54 CDT