Problem creating a new database instance in Digital Unix

From: michael horwitz <bigm_at_global.co.za>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 19:13:32 +0200

Hi all,

I would very much appreciate any help I could get in creating a new database instance for Oracle 7.2.3 on a Dec/Alpha.

I have put all the required init.ora files in the Oracle home and when I try and startup the new database with the nomount option I immediately get the following error:

ORA - 07307: sms1sg: shmat error, unable to attach sga DEC OSF/1 (AXP) Error: 22: Invalid Argument Additional Information: 1

The help offered with oerr is somewhat cryptic and simply suggests that one checks the starting address returned for the sga (I don't see it in the message above).

If i greatly reduce all the parameters related to the sga in the control files then I can create the database without problem. However, I have tried creating a copy of a database from a machine with half the physical memory of the current machine, and it also fails!

Anyone else come accross this problem? Any ideas on how to work around it? All help will be much appreciated!

Thanks

Michael Horwitz Received on Mon Jun 21 1999 - 12:13:32 CDT