Re: Ping another Instance?

From: indian <tmgn_at_excite.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 12:19:10 -0400

Tnsping may succeed even if the Remote DB is down as long as the Listener is up.
You may need to try setting the TWO_TASK variable to the Remote SID and do oiconnect system/<password>
echo $<STATUS>

If it returns 0 , then the DB is up or else down. I have created a script 'dbping' which does this .
Pls Note that $ORACLE_HOME/bin/oiconnect of only ver 7.3.2 works fine as of now.

-Thiru