Re: PeopleSoft DBA's

From: DBAOracle <dbaoracle_at_aol.com>
Date: 20 Jun 1999 14:30:43 GMT

>Technically, PeopleSoft wouldn't support it, although you could argue that a
>simple performance hint to an SQL statement doesn't change the selection
>criterion. Since our on-line works best in cost, and batch in rule, we
>considered adding hints to a bunch of DMS statements called by the COBOL,
>but found that too daunting. The number of on-line search views we changed
>to include cost hints ended up being 8.

But here is the rub, if you run into an optimizer bug (as I did in 7.3.2 with PQO) and all of a sudden you are not getting back to correct result set, then a query that was running slow but correct might suddenly run fast but incorrect. I'd rather have support avalible from my vendor to fix the results of that problem (with a financial package particuraly)... they would probably help anyway though.... It's always balancing that risk/reward ratio, isn't it?

Robert Received on Sun Jun 20 1999 - 09:30:43 CDT