Re: PeopleSoft DBA's

From: Pierre-Andre Morin <pa-m_at_iname.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 17:18:08 +0200

Hi

I don't agree that you cannot optimize Cobol. If the cobol statement is generated you can add a little fix (one line plus comments) in the statement generation. I remember a case in the GL edit programs where we added a first_rows that changed minutes in seconds (more than 60 times faster). You can also update the PS_SQLSTMNT (approximate name cause I don't have a PS instance at home) where some SQL statements are stored.

I also even remember a case where we had to optimize NVision. In order to minimize the changes we renamed the table and create a view with the hint embedded in it. Because it was a summary ledger, everytime the summary ledger was created we had to recreate the view. The solution was to run the NVision in batch with a pre and post processing to respectively create and remove the view.

My point is that in PS you can optimize a lot. Sometimes you don't like it but if the need is there, we should be able to do it.

Of course all these changes will have to be documented and to make sure that the DBA team and the developpers team know about this so the next upgrade they will stay in place.

Regards,

--
Pierre-André Morin