Re: can't connect developer apps to personal oracle 8

From: wozi <wozi_at_dhc.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 11:08:09 -0700

dave wrote in message <376c0377.289986_at_enews.newsguy.com>...

>how to i get developer apps to connect to a personal oracle 8.0.3
>local database.  both are on the same machine.  the sqlplus80 that
>came with po8 connect by leaving the connect string empty ( a bequeath
>i believe) but the sqlplus3 and the developer apps just hang if i
>leave the connect string blank.  Any ides.  does a listener need to be
>active for dev apps.

I had a similar problem. Here is how I resolved it: 1.Developer uses SQL*Net , NOT Net80. So, make sure that sql*net 2.3.4 is installed. The bequeath protocol allows SQ*Plus 8 to connect locally by bypassing the listener process. However, Dev. needs the listener to connect locally
2. Make sure that you have %oracle_home\network\admin directory 3. You MUST start the listener (TNSLSNR80.EXE) after the database is started 4 Use the SQL*NET Easy config utility to create a new service. In my case, I simply deleted the exisiting 'ORCL' service and created a new one. when creating a new service, do not specify Bequeath as the protocol. Select TCP/IP instead. Also, you will need to provide the TCP/IP host name which is the computer name where oracle is installed.

Once done, you should be able to connect from Sql*plus 3.3 as well as Developer by specifying user name, password, AND the service name. You cannot leave the connect string blank.

Below is a sample copy of my tnsnames.ora Good luck
wozi_at_dhc.net

This is a SQL*Net Configuration file generated by SQL*Net Easy Configuration.
#Attention: Do not modify this file yourself. #If you do, your SQL*Net Easy Configuration may not function properly.

Example1.world =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =

        (ADDRESS =