Re: UTL_FILE-Package

From: Kenneth C Stahl <kcstahl_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 10:17:00 -0400

My experience has been this:

  1. If you allow oracle to create the file using utl_file, it will be owned by Oracle and will have whatever permissions were inherited by the RDBMS when the unix oracle account started the instance.
  2. If you create the file as an empty file in shell first and then have utl_file append to that file, the file ownership will not change. If I am running a pl/sql script from sqlplus, I will write a shell wrapper in which I will create the file and give it whatever permissions and ownership I desire and then pass that name as a directory and file name to the pl/sql routine. I've never had any problems with this.

Ken