Re: PeopleSoft DBA's

From: Juan Carlos <jc_va_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 08:03:18 -0700

We run PeopleSoft HRMS (Ben Admin and Payroll). Our batch COBOL runs great in rule mode, so our database is set up as such. However, the on-line search views (e.g. PS_PERS_SRCH_US) run much better under cost, so we have added performance hints to them. So it's the best (?) of both worlds. PeopleSoft definitely is gratuitous in creating indexes, but I think you'll find they're all necessary under varying circumstances. We try and re-create the payroll indexes (PS_PAY_CHECK, TAX, etc) once a month. That seems to speed up a paycalc a bit.

Good Luck.

Mitchell Loren wrote in message <376AEDC4.A034F3D8_at_home.com>...
>We have a 15 GIG PeopleSoft installation (Financials, Inventory). One of
>my biggest problems is ora-1555. Rollbacks are sized appropriately (
>that's really not the problem leading up to snapshot too old anyway).
>Its that the transaction runs too long. I have rebuilt indexes and some
>of the tables and we still get 1555.
>
>The big problem with PS is that you can't optimize the SQL ( especially
>the COBOL SQL). Have you run into these problems, and if so, how have
>you dealt with them.
>

>Mike Morgan wrote:
>>
>> Mitchell Loren wrote in message <37699A7B.598B883B_at_home.com>...
>> >Oracle-PeopleSoft DBA's unite. All of us know what a pig PeopleSoft is
>> >? But who knows how to optimize it.
>> >
>> >For those of you facing tuning and administrative issues related to
>> >PeopleSoft on Oracle please post comments on this thread. I am suprised
>> >very little is posted here.
>> >
>> >Today's question :
>> >
>> >Do you analyze your schema, and if so, how often ?
>>
>> We have a 60 GB PeopleSoft Financials (6.1 upgrading to 7.5) database.
We