Re: Executing Operating system commands from within a stored procedure

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 10:50:44 +0200

It's about time the answer to this question makes it to a FAQ. It shows up every few days :)
Basic options
Oracle 7.3.4:
Use the dbms_pipe package or use PLEX downloadable from the Oracle Government web-site
Oracle 8 and higher: use the external procedure mechanism. Just write a DLL or whatever is available in Unix,
modify your listener.ora to work with the procedure, and that's it.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA