Re: bepper trigger??

From: Kenneth C Stahl <kstahl_at_lucent.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 13:05:09 -0400

Actually, it is fairly easy but you'd have to have the hardware to support dialing the pager.

Here is one possible solution:

Have a daemon running which will constantly poll a table for entries. When the operator presses the "button" the application would put an entry into the table. The daemon then reads the row and through whatever logic is necessary figures out what pager to dial. It then dials that pager, sends whatever information is needed and then hangs up. If you want the page to be a one-shot deal, delete the entry in the table. Otherwise re-page every X minutes until a response is received. The respondee would then take manual action to delete the entry and the paging would stop. Using this scenario you could have different pager numbers dialed depending on time of day, originiating operator, severity of problem, etc.etc - whatever you want. The thing is, you really can't do it directly from pl/sql iself, but you can do it asychronously via another program that can read an entry from an oracle table.

There is one exception to this - if you are running an Oracle Forms application then you can write a user-exit and the user exit program can do the paging sychronously.

Ken