Re: Copy cntrl and redo logs for standby & reports db

From: Pete Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 09:39:16 -0700

Tony

See my comments inline.

Tony Adolph wrote:

> Greetings All,
>
> I am proposing to create a hot standby and reports server (in one). To
> keep this database synconised with the production box I will copy the
> redo logs and control files and then recover the database. I am
> running Oracle 7.3 on NT4. This server will be used to run the reports
> and, if disaster strikes, to take over from the production server.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1) Is it valid to have differnet directory structures on the two
> boxes, e.g. can the SYSTEM tablespace datafile live on c:\db\system on
> the prod box and d:\rep\system on the replication box? And can the
> underlying structure be different, e.g. RAID5 on production and RAID1
> on the standby?

Yes. You can specify a couple of parameters in your init.ora file that basically tell Oracle what was on disk a should now be on disk b. RAID level is of no importance in this step.

> 2) To use the replication method I have said I assume that I the
> standby db cannot be updated because this will change the transaction
> numbers and thus the next recovery would fail, how can I open the
> database read only?

In 7.3.4 once you open the database in any form it is no longer a standby and needs to be completely rebuilt. In 8.1.5, you can open the database as read only, then shut it down and and redo logs that have arrived while it was open will continue being applied. Note that 8.1.5 also now automates the shipping of the redo logs, which you needed to script in releases prior to this.

> 3) Is this a viable / workable solution to create a standby server and
> a reports server? If not any suggestions?

Seems reasonable to me, if you're prepared to continually rebuild the standby. If not, move to 8.1.5 and use the query only capability.

> Thanks in advance
> Tony

Regards

Pete