Re: Q: A package granting privs on itself

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 12:56:52 GMT

A copy of this was sent to "J. Wegener NOSPAM" <xjw_at_xdde.xdk> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Fri, 18 Jun 1999 12:43:56 +0200, you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am working on a system that has implemented a lot of functionality in
>database packages. One of these packages contains logic that grants execute
>privileges on various packages in the system. In some cases however, this
>package tries to grant execute privileges on itself. Unfortunately, the
>original designers of the system did not know that such a behaviour is not
>possible.
>
>I am trying to fix the problem and I am looking for an "easy" way.... But a
>really good idea escapes me for the moment. Maybe you have one?
>
>I will appreciate your response, thanks in advance.
>
>Cheers
>Johan

One possible way would be to use DBMS_JOB to submit a request for the grant to occur shortly after a commit. This will run in another session. It won't take effect immediately

if you need to read a little about jobs,

select text from all_source where name = 'DBMS_JOB' and type = 'PACKAGE' order by line;

will get you going. don't forget to set the init.ora parameters

job_queue_interval
job_queue_processes

to enable the automatic processing of jobs.

See http://www.oracle.com/ideveloper/ for my column 'Digging-in to Oracle8i'... Mirrored (and more current) at http://govt.us.oracle.com/~tkyte/

Current article is "Fine Grained Access Control", added June 8'th

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Fri Jun 18 1999 - 07:56:52 CDT