Autoextend for rollback

From: Kenneth C Stahl <kstahl_at_lucent.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 08:58:58 -0400

Has anyone ever used auto extend for tablespaces that only contain rollback segments?

For example, let's say I create a tablespace called RBS which will only hold rollback segments and give it a size of 15M. I then create ten rollback segments with INITIAL 100K NEXT 100K OPTIMAL 200K MINEXTENTS 2 MAXEXTENTS 249. Quite obviously, the first time that I have a transaction which causes a rollback segment to grow towards 249 extents I'll get the "snapshot too old" error message and my transaction will rollback. However, if I give the tablespace the ability to auto extend then the tablespace will grow as needed. I realize the risk here is that if I have multiple transactions that are all causing the rollback segments to grow to many extents that I'll end up with a collossal tablespace but that is something I could always monitor and adjust as needed - but at least I wouldn't be beeped in the middle of the night when batch processing is going on and some job aborts because I ran out of space in the RBS tablespace.

Thoughts? Dark corners? Nooks and crannies? Convential wisdom?

Ken Received on Fri Jun 18 1999 - 07:58:58 CDT