Fundamental RAID ISSUES

From: <coakleyj_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 10:26:29 GMT

A couple of fundamental questions regarding RAID 5 Oracle OLTP application, involving
4)-
10K RPM disks or Three 18GB 10K RPM disks - both configured presume the more disks the better to reduce disk I/O?). limit to the number of disks that can be
(before management overhead

of disk space "used-up" on the
above configurations?
of the number and size of the disks in the RAID set. What are the implications of the "stripe width" when - What's "normal" ?
all),
setting? Which drives the Oracle block size - size?
RAID 5 decreases write performance
(I think) was

and one for the parity. Does the same logic no RAID 5 we need to perform
well??
versa?
concurrent Oracle users on an NT4 server. Given client-server and only
end-users
to the disk drives), do we need to
how many?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Fri Jun 18 1999 - 05:26:29 CDT