Re: Massive Archive Logging

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 08:53:21 +0100

Interestingly the last person with this problem was also running Peoplesoft.

Increasing the log file size would, as
you point out, reduce wait times, because checkpoints due to log switches occur
less frequently,

Because the increase is redo is so
huge, (and nothing has changed to
cause extra data change to occur)
I am fairly convinced that the problem
must be that some activity that used
to run in UNRECOVERABLE mode
is now generaing redo. (e.g. index
creation on very large tables).

In the absence of any inspiration at this point, I would examine the log switch times (v$log_history or alert.log) and try to identify the time of day when redo generation peaked:

Narrow this down perhaps by

    select name,value from v$sysstat
    where name like 'redo%';
every 30 minutes.

You might also consider switching
auditing on, and issuing AUDIT SESSION, then run a report daily to see which userid was doing most work (view dba_audit_session)

This may give you clues to follow up.

--

Jonathan Lewis