Re: Can a row add cause an email?

From: C. <c_ferguson_at_rationalconcepts.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 19:29:49 -0700

Hi Tyler,
  I'm not familiar with the term OLTP, (I've encountered too many acronyms in my life, I suppose) but here are some ideas:

  1. Have your application send mail as it's adding the rows. Anything can send SMTP mail as long as it has access to an SMTP mail server.
  2. Create a trigger on the database table. I'm not sure if it could call a stored proc directly, but you could create another table that it could populate with the subject, body, addresses, etc. You could then have another stored procedure look at this table and send mail. You would probably tie this all together as a scheduled job in oracle. Again, you need some code that will talk to an SMTP mail server. It would work as follows: scheduled job executes a stored procedure that gathers the information from your email table and calls a c/c++ routine to send mail.

Oracle has an example of this (Oracle Sample Code Repository Entry #425).

Hope that helps.
Cindy Ferguson, Rational Concepts, INC.