Re: Oracle 7.3.3v to 8.0i on NT

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_xesolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 14:02:34 -0700

> I have been asked to look into the pros and cons of upgading from 7.3.3 to
> 8.0i on an NT 4.0 SP3 box and using RAID 5.
>
> Has anyone out carried out an upgrade with the above criteria? if so what
> problems did you encounter ?
>
> General question:
> What is the general consensous out there about oracle 8.0i and NT 4.0?

Oracle 8.1.5 (8i) is a solid upgrade. NT, however, is the platform of last resort. Only use it if you have to. Oracle on NT, or for that matter any database on NT, will require a lot of rebooting.

With respect to RAID 5 . . . JUST SAY NO!

There are few better ways to slow down a perfectly good database application than to use RAID 5. I would strongly urge you to go RAID 0 (mirroring).

If you decide not to upgrade to 8.1.5 at least upgrade to 8.3.4. It is a much improved release.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Thu Jun 17 1999 - 16:02:34 CDT